Friday, September 3, 2010

My view of the Bogside

So as promised, I have pictures of the area I am living in which is called the Bogside of Derry. People have just always had two (or three, depending on who you talk to) areas of Derry: Bogside (mainly Catholic), The Walls, and Waterside (traditionally thought of as Protestant side). Any way all is well here and here are some pictures of a semi-typical walk home from town.

First off, our school. This is the building our classroom is in.

The Peace Mural

The location of Bloody Sunday and now a memorial for it.

Free Derry Sign and murals.

Looking up to the walls of Derry.



This mural is in honor of the hunger strikers who died.

That is just a glimpse of what I get to experience here. Very fortunate to have a great host family and for the most part we aren't too far away from anyone or anything! Very happy to be done with classes for the week and we only have 6 more weeks of classes before we do our volunteer placements! We had the whole group (10 students) over last night for a 'community dinner'.  It is really  nice because we all try to do stuff together at least a few times a week. We had a Taco Bar and everyone brought food to add to the meal. Then we sat around the table and talked for a while before playing cards until midnight! It was a lot of fun and we will see what we will get into this weekend! I'll update more next week!










4 comments:

  1. Doesen't look like your school is very big.Do all of you that went over go to the same school?
    The pictures & murals are beautiful.Must have some good artist in that town.
    Good you are all having time for one another.
    Have a wonderful weekend & go get you some Ice Cream,ha"
    Love Ya"
    G.B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    I hope you got my reply to your FB email. I'm loving your blog... It's so awesome & I'm so glad you're sharing this experience with all of us!

    My biggest curiosity (of course... haha)is the fashions that you have mentioned a few times! In your next blog can you tell us a little more about that & maybe what you have bought so far in attempts to "fit in"?

    I hope you're having a great weekend! Tyler & I are in SD & just got back from Sat. service at Eastlake. It was a great message today (like always)... and it was pretty emotional for me. I can't wait to tell you about it.

    Love ya!
    ~Abbey~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our school is actually larger than Bluffton's campus but is definately smaller than our state schools. And yes, there are a lot of murals around town that are from very talented artists. Yes all 10 of us are from Bluffton. We only really knew each other from our orientation class last spring but we are all getting along quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naner said,"Hi and wants to have ice cream with you." Of course, she wants you to be safe and have fun.
    I love the Peace mural, very quilty looking.
    Love to you, Aunt Sue B

    ReplyDelete