Tuesday, September 21, 2010

More daily happenings in Derry

This weekend was a great weekend to rest up. As I posted in my last blog we will be very busy in the upcoming weeks so my housemate, Megan, and I decided to take it easy this weekend. I had planned to work on papers but that didn't get very far. So far this week though I have been much more productive! Anyway we basically watched a bunch of movies and vegged out with our classmates.

I haven't talked about it yet but it is really different living in another country. I am finally settling with it, not that I can really adjust to it, but it is what it is. I do miss home but trying to focus on the things I am learning here. Learning about the conflict and continuing struggle here is quite amazing to me. It goes back further in history than the birth of America and they are still having issues today. Matter of fact about every couple of days while we are sitting in the computer lab we hear the bomb sirens go off. Very similar to a fire alarm but unlike in America, no one freaks out, no one even moves unless it lasts for more than a few minutes. Very different experience, Megan and I just look around to see what the locals do. And honestly, it is nothing to worry about involving our safety. Every one here has told us that we are in no danger as long as we use common sense about things. This is actually a far safer city than say Detroit, maybe even Columbus.

On a better note, we went to a pub quiz on Thursday. It is in this little old pub that little old men go to ha...anyway the craic was good and we actually didn't do too bad. Pub quizzes are like random trivia from all over and you are in your own groups and write down the answer. I am not sure how they score it actually, I think the guy in charge last week felt bad for us young Americans so we ended up in 2nd place ha...  Megan and I's host parents went as well and they were the group that beat us.

On Saturday we slept in way too late and then decided to have a Star Wars Marathon. Megan had not seen them all so at 3pm we started Episode 4, 5, 6, 1, & 2 (in that order) and by that time it was past 2 am. We will be finishing the 3rd one this week but we already had one girl asleep and the rest of us were fighting it.

Well tonight we will be going to our Tin Whistle class (I haven't practiced) then Friday is our Irish Dance class. I will be trying to get pics of us practicing soon!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment