Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Getting into a routine...

Well it has been just another day here in Derry. Get up go to class grab cheap lunch and shop! The fashions over here are very different from the states so we feel like we have to have some style...anyway that part of the routine needs to be postponed for a bit before the allowance runs out.

 It is very interesting because people realize very quickly that we are Americans and ask us how long we will be in town. The first time someone asked me I was like, yeah it's pretty obvious we aren't from here isn't it..ha.  We realize how loud "Americans" can be compared to the rest of the population so we are trying to watch that and keep quite I guess; but that does not include in the pub really...everyone is loud especially when the music is playing which is my favorite part! We went to Peadar O'Donnells Pub on Monday and there is live music/singing every night I believe. We all had a good time together and got to sleep in the next day :)

Well tomorrow after class I am hoping to walk around our neighborhood some and take pics of the murals and monuments close by. There are so many and they are all very well done. Every day the realization sets in a little more that this is not post-conflict like most like to believe. They are still in the peace process, just the violence has diminished quite a bit. I don't think I really want to attempt to begin discussing the politics etc in this blog because I am still learning everyday more about the past and current affairs as well as the fact that it is very difficult to understand from an outsiders view. This is why it is still difficult for me but being surrounded by it, being taught it, and speaking to people from the past and present about it helps me to begin to get an understanding.  There is no way I could ever fully understand the conflict but I can be willing to learn about it.

Well give me your thoughts and feedback or suggestions if you have anything you would like to see or for me to talk about and answer I will try my best. I should have semi-frequent access to internet now so I'll be checking this every day or two.

Hope all is well!

5 comments:

  1. Just a note to say hello & always so good to see you've written for the day. Here we are into another month.Hearing about everything over there is so Interesting.Makes me want to take a trip over.ha"Doesen't sound like you've found any of the Conley's {Puddy"s}yet If they are quite people there.ha" You know we Conley's are happy & loud.ha"Probably around the "Pub" you'd find some.Ha" Kin to Uncle Doug.Ha"
    Do they wear their Kilts & play the Beautiful "Irish" music?
    Gotta get going.Have a Eye Dr. App. at 9:15 Gotta get my coffee & get woke up.
    Take care & can't wait till you write again.
    Love Ya"
    Grandma B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get the one from me signed Anonymous
    Love Ya"
    G.B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing (or perhaps not)how Americans are so recognizable in other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have seen one kilt been worn, and it was just a little odd because it was for no reason, like no celebration or music playing. But there was actually a Scottish bag pipe marching band contest on the TV last night. I learned the difference of a Scottish bag pipe is one you blow air into and the pipes stick up, an Irish bag pipe is with the pipes facing down and it is held under your arm so that you can pump air into it. But in the pub they played very nice music. We are begining to learn the songs pretty well over here.

    And yes Mark, it is very interesting how quickly they can determine we are American's...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Amanda...Ohio State 45 - Marshall 7 Wooohooo!

    ReplyDelete