Monday, September 27, 2010

The beautiful places we see...

Hello  again after a long weekend away from internet. I do apologize, I would love to be able to blog more but time spend on the computer is greatly shorter when you only have an hour or so each day, it is harder to get everything caught up.

Friday afternoon we had our Irish Dance class and I was able to get a video clip of it:



I am not in it because I was the one taking it but my classmates do a fine job. :)

This is one of about 4 we know now. We are also taking our tin whistle class but that one is not as enjoyable to listen to so I'll wait on that one. Then, Friday evening there were a bunch of things going on around Derry for the City of Culture night. We decided to go on a tour of the Freemasons hall first. My dad and all of my grandfathers were/are masons so I have always been interested in the organization. It was a great opportunity to see the hall, conisisting of many rooms in which they meet.  We next moved on to St. Columbs Cathedral. It is a very old, historic church in Derry. After that we began to walk the walls of Derry as there were performers and a fashion show going on. We ended our night at the Guildhall, watching a performer and even seeing the Mayor again. From there it was a quick stop for chips (fries) then off to a pub for a little bit.

Saturday we slept in a bit then decided to wander through town looking for halloween costumes. Haloween is a huge deal here; Derry get's it's largest influx of visitors for that one weekend/day. I still haven't thought of anything--ideas welcome!!

Sunday then we were off to Donegal. Our Programme Director arranged for us to have a bus tour of the Inishowen Peninsula of County Donegal. It was beautiful! Definately what you think of Ireland to be. Best way to describe it is pictures, but the one thing they can never communicate is the serenity you can find in the countryside. Honestly there was a place at the second fort we went to that looked out over the fields and cottages, the mountain and the mouth of the River Foyle and I was content. I just sat down and took it in. Found me a nice little grassy spot actually-ha! But that is simply one thing I cannot understand, how with the beautiful scenery here, people fought so much during the Troubles and it just feels as if Derry is surrounded by hatred but when you look out you see it is really surrounded by grass covered hills...

Pictures of Donegal: (oh and a video!)

Inch Island

Playing in the really old fort.

Roommate picture finally! This is Megan. :)

The hill to the top of the fort. Yes I climbed it, yay for hiking!

Here's me and the pretty mountain!

Countryside.

My friend Becca, we are traveling together afterwards with Megan as well.






Just us girls, having fun on the beach!
Well that is about all for now I think. No class tomorrow! Yay! But then Saturday we go to the Ulster American Folk Park with our history professor, then Monday we are off to Dublin for the week! Always moving! Have a good week!

With love.









3 comments:

  1. Thanks for updating the blog Amanda! I really like the picture of the 4 of you jumping up on the beach...Well timed! I like what you described at the one place...simply sitting down and taking it in. I'm so glad you take the time to let it soak in. It will stay with you a lifetime. Also enjoyed chatting with you this morning! Wish we could have done the video with it by hey...it worked.
    Love you,

    Dad

    You might add a note to let people know you have a "boatload" of pictures on your Facebook profile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Beautiful" Pictures. You are so "Blessed" to see all this at such a young age. Try not to miss anything.Maybe one day you can take your "Grandma" Ha""""""""
    Love You.
    G.B.

    ReplyDelete