Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The First Day

In my last post I mentioned we were in Corrymeela near Ballycastle NI. So we had some downtime (like all day yesterday) and we went on a walk to the town (Ballycastle).  Here are some pics:





The view's from my room



My Room

Walking to Ballycastle:













Yes they drive on the wrong side of the road here...
and they have a lot of roundabouts. Mervyn told us 
last night that gas is about 5 pounds/gallon. That's about $8/gallon!



On our way back to Corrymeela this is the view. Also we 
could see Scotland from Ballycastle. I walked in the water here
and let me tell you it's about as cold as the Pacific...not pleasant.


It is definitely interesting to hear people talk here. They also use different words for different things. For example do not say 'pants' when talking about your jeans, etc.  Pants here means underwear and trousers are "pants".  Also a 'rubber' here is not referring to a condom but an eraser for a pencil. Their reference to time is different as well, using 'half past' and 'quarter of' and I'm sure the differences will continue. Mervyn was telling us they still deliver milk to your door everyday if you'd like it fresh and it's not any more expensive than buying it at the store. Everything is really more expensive here than the US but right now I'm not complaining. We have warm beds and hot showers and plenty of new food to try. Oh and Dad they don't make mashed potatoes creamy like we do, almost like just simply mash the boiled potatoes.  

Well we are all rested from the jet lag, or most of us are, as we stayed up as long as we could yesterday to get on the right time schedule. So today we are getting ready to go to the Giant's Causeway, the 8th wonder of the world. Pics will come later as time allows. Have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

  1. Well it took me a while to figure this out...called your Dad twice...still lost it I think? So I thought I'd try it again. Hope you had a good day today. Loved the pictures from yesterday and I hope you put more up from today.
    Love you,
    GrandMa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there...Looks like you seeing some wonderful scenery and your only 2 days into it! I'll fix you so good mashed tators when you come home. You'll probably be skin and bones by then :) FYI...you have a bunch of people that turn their computers on 1st thing in the morning anxious to see what you've put up here. Grandma & Aunt Wanda are at the top of that list! Hope your having fun!
    Love ya,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don noticed there aren't any mountain bike trails in your pictures??? I noticed it looks a little cold there????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad, actually the mashed potatoes here aren't bad and we do seriously have potatoes of some sort almost every day lol

    Don, no I have yet to see a "mountain bike" there are just regular bikes but not for the same intensity ha...Sue, we've actually had 2 really nice days considering it has not rained. the sun is warm and bright and not to chilly for the most part. Feels like Ohio Fall time--sometimes warm enough for Tshirt and jeans, some people wear sun dresses but other times want my fleece on. Kinda similar to SD ha! always take a jacket I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link Amanda! The pictures are great and remind me of when I was in Ballycastle!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete