Saturday, November 13, 2010

Hallowe'en Done Derry Style!

Hey all! Like I said before I am quickly trying to get everyone caught up on what has been happening here in the past three weeks. So picking up where I left off, my Aunt flew back to sunny California and I began to prepare for my final papers, moving everything to Ballycastle for a month, and celebrating Hallowe'en.

Hallowe'en is BIG in Derry. I mean they have a festival the week leading up to it and everything. They have made it nice though because most of it is kid friendly stuff.  Anyway I had kinda been stuck on finding a costume for a while until I found something at the pound store one day. It related quite well to another friend's outfit so I asked her opinion and she loved it. We then proceeded to go to Primark-the most sinful store, they have really cheap clothes (both in price and quality) but are very stylish for the most part with their fashions over here. Well my friend found the rest of my costume if I wanted it and I was looking at it when my other two friends walked up and got really excited about how it would just make my costume. Anyway so all in all I ended up spending like four pounds on my costume, two for face paint, one for the pound store purchase and one for the dress at Primark that was on clearance! So here it is!

Cruella de Vil and Penny-one of the 101 Dalmatians!

I thought it was creative...Anyway we made it down to the Strand Rd. just in time to see part of the parade which was very cool. Then they set off fireworks! Like I said before it's a big deal in Derry. And also there are a lot of people who come from all over Ireland and beyond to celebrate Hallowe'en. This means that the pubs/bars/clubs were all going to fill up fast and some of them you even had to get tickets in advance which we didn't do....so we got bored with fireworks and decided to try to find some place to hang out for a bit. We went to Weatherspoons which is part restaurant part club at night and saw everything you could imagine. It ended up being a really interesting night and one I'll always remember as how they celebrate Hallowe'en in Derry!

Parade

Parade-I think Derry City Football Team-Oh and Scooby Doo on the right.

Group shot!

Wizard of Oz

Jen, Andy and Ashley






My favorite of the night-Lego men!


I also apparently looked like a potential target because when we walked by the Guildhall here, I was given a two things: a reflective wristband (we all got these) and I was one of 2 of our group that got a second pack of things, drink tester for date rape drugs, something else I laughed about and the third thing I actually kept, a protective keychain that when u pull it apart it makes a really loud alarm noise. 

One more then all caught up!


No comments:

Post a Comment